L1 Long Range Ballistics Class
Date & Time
Burlington, WY 82411
- You will learn how to select the components necessary to create a reliable long range shooting system which includes the rifle, scope, ammunition, and ballistic program.
- You will build a solid foundation in the skills necessary to shoot accurately at long range.
- You will learn how to true and utilize a ballistic program to get first round hits at varying distances, and learn about all the shooter and environmental factors that impact your lethal hit probability and decision making.
The rifle and equipment fee is automatically included in the registration. Please do not bring your personal rifle for this course, we've got it covered! Check out our Shooting System Readiness Clinic if you are wanting to qualify your rifle.
Long Range University Overview
Long Range University exists for the specific purpose of helping you make quick ethical one shot kills in the field. The core of our content is contained in our L1, L2, and L3 classes which utilize a building block approach to provide education and training in every factor which impacts your lethal hit probability. Interwoven throughout all three classes is a training strategy which will improve your ability to function under pressure and significantly extend the range and conditions under which you can take an ethical shot. At Long Range University you will learn to recognize when the conditions are not suitable to ensure a lethal hit.
You will use our Gunwerks Shooting systems during the L1 and L2 classes, however what you learn will apply to any long range shooting system. Using a Gunwerks rifle system and ammunition for this course facilitates and accelerates the learning process. This allows you to focus on the core class content and leave equipment concerns to the instructor. Put wear and tear on our rifle not yours.
In our L3 class we encourage you to bring your personal rifle regardless of manufacturer. This is where you really learn the capability and limits of your “system” which includes you and your marksmanship ability, your rifles capability, your ballistic program, and your ability to compensate for wind and other environmental conditions, all in a realistic mountain hunting environment.
L1 Long Range Ballistics
L2 Advanced Ballistics and Wind
L3 Mountain Shooting Application
Our L1, L2, and L3 classes must be taken in sequential order and provide a comprehensive learning experience. We also offer “Clinics'' which are a deep dive into a specific topic or weapon system. There are no prerequisite classes to attend any of our Clinics.
Our Standalone Clinics
Shooting System Readiness
Long Range Muzzleloader
Our Hunting Experiences
The ultimate in training is live field application. For the next step in your journey to proficiency, we offer several different training / hunting experiences with Gunwerks vetted outfitters in different environments. From Barbary Sheep in the mountains of West Texas, to beginner friendly Antelope in New Mexico, to freezer filling Cow Elk in Oregon, all provide a fantastic experience and help you achieve the next level of capability in the field.
- Arrival - Please do not arrive at the range facility before 8:30 AM.
- Components of the Long Range Rifle System
- Shooter / spotter communication, Holding for wind
- Range - Zeroing and Bench shooting exercises
- Creating a ballistic profile in the Revic App
- Range - Trajectory validation and truing exercise
- Debrief, Optional Cody facility tour
- Bore cleaning, Cold bore shots, and Rifle maintenance
- Range - Cold bore shot exercise
- External ballistics, Intro to BDC turrets
- Range - BDC turret exercise
- Range - Practical shooting exercise
Watch The Video
"I wanted to thank all of you for making my recent attendance at LRU both educational and memorable.
The amount of information presented was impressive, and the practical application made it relevant and useful."
- Jim S .
"I had my first chance to put both the new skills and my new 7LRM to the test, on a recent pronghorn hunt at 450 yards in New Mexico."
- Jim S.
"Without having the knowledge and skills learned at LRU, there’s no way I would have been successful with those shots.
Special thanks to everyone at Gunwerks who help create the products and teach the skills to make us more effective hunters. Looking forward to putting these to good use, on future hunts!"
- Jim S.