L2 Advanced Ballistics and Wind Class
Date & Time
Burlington, WY 82411
- You will learn how to compensate for the effect of wind. How to determine its speed and direction, using a wind meter, mirage and/or environmental clues, then make the appropriate compensation.
- You will learn about all the advanced external ballistic factors which affect your lethal hit probability including air density, shot inclination, spin drift, aerodynamic jump, Coriolis effect, and Evotos effect.
- You will learn how to utilize a “smart” laser rangefinder to get a precise range and a shooting solution which accounts for all the advanced external ballistic factors and wind effects.
The rifle and equipment fee is automatically included in the registration. Please do not bring your personal rifle for this course, we've got it covered! Check out our Shooting System Readiness Clinic if you are wanting to qualify your rifle. For your convenience this Clinic is offered the day after most of our L2 Classes.
This is an advanced class and even advanced shooters will struggle if they do not have the foundational knowledge taught in the L1 class. For scheduling convenience we schedule a L1 class immediately preceding every L2 class.
Long Range University Overview
Long Range University exists for the specific purpose of helping you make quick ethical one shot kills in the field. The core of our content is contained in our L1, L2, and L3 classes which utilize a building block approach to provide education and training in every factor which impacts your lethal hit probability. Interwoven throughout all three classes is a training strategy which will improve your ability to function under pressure and significantly extend the range and conditions under which you can take an ethical shot. At Long Range University you will learn to recognize when the conditions are not suitable to ensure a lethal hit.
You will use our Gunwerks Shooting systems during the L1 and L2 classes, however what you learn will apply to any long range shooting system. Using a Gunwerks rifle system and ammunition for this course facilitates and accelerates the learning process. This allows you to focus on the core class content and leave equipment concerns to the instructor. Put wear and tear on our rifle not yours.
In our L3 class we encourage you to bring your personal rifle regardless of manufacturer. This is where you really learn the capability and limits of your “system” which includes you and your marksmanship ability, your rifles capability, your ballistic program, and your ability to compensate for wind and other environmental conditions, all in a realistic mountain hunting environment.
L1 Long Range Ballistics
L2 Advanced Ballistics and Wind
L3 Mountain Shooting Application
Our L1, L2, and L3 classes must be taken in sequential order and provide a comprehensive learning experience. We also offer “Clinics'' which are a deep dive into a specific topic or weapon system. There are no prerequisite classes to attend any of our Clinics.
Our Standalone Clinics
Shooting System Readiness
Long Range Muzzleloader
Our Hunting Experiences
The ultimate in training is live field application. For the next step in your journey to proficiency, we offer several different training / hunting experiences with Gunwerks vetted outfitters in different environments. From Barbary Sheep in the mountains of West Texas, to beginner friendly Antelope in New Mexico, to freezer filling Cow Elk in Oregon, all provide a fantastic experience and help you achieve the next level of capability in the field.
- Arrival - Please do not arrive at our range facility before 8:30 AM
- Wind reading and compensation, Prone shooting fundamentals
- Range - Wind reading exercise, Prone shooting exercise
- Range - Wind shooting exercise
- Advanced internal and external ballistics
- Range - Cold bore shot, Wind shooting exercise
- Terminal ballistics
- Laser rangefinder function and utilization
- Range - Practical shooting exercise
- Range - Practical shooting exercise
Watch The Video
"I wanted to thank all of you for making my recent attendance at LRU both educational and memorable.
The amount of information presented was impressive, and the practical application made it relevant and useful."
- Jim S .
"I had my first chance to put both the new skills and my new 7LRM to the test, on a recent pronghorn hunt at 450 yards in New Mexico."
- Jim S.
"Without having the knowledge and skills learned at LRU, there’s no way I would have been successful with those shots.
Special thanks to everyone at Gunwerks who help create the products and teach the skills to make us more effective hunters. Looking forward to putting these to good use, on future hunts!"
- Jim S.