L1/L2 Foundation / Advanced Ballistics and Wind Class
Date & Time
Big Rapids, MI 49307
Long Range University Overview
Long Range University exists for the specific purpose of helping you make quick ethical one shot kills in the field. The core of our content is contained in our L1, L2, and L3 classes which utilize a building block approach to provide education and training in every factor which impacts your lethal hit probability. Interwoven throughout all three classes is a training strategy which will improve your ability to function under pressure and significantly extend the range and conditions under which you can take an ethical shot. At Long Range University you will learn to recognize when the conditions are not suitable to ensure a lethal hit.
You will use our Gunwerks Shooting systems during the L1 and L2 classes, however what you learn will apply to any long range shooting system. Using a Gunwerks rifle system and ammunition for this course facilitates and accelerates the learning process. This allows you to focus on the core class content and leave equipment concerns to the instructor. Put wear and tear on our rifle not yours.
In our L3 class we encourage you to bring your personal rifle regardless of manufacturer. This is where you really learn the capability and limits of your “system” which includes you and your marksmanship ability, your rifles capability, your ballistic program, and your ability to compensate for wind and other environmental conditions, all in a realistic mountain hunting environment.
L1 Long Range Ballistics
L2 Advanced Ballistics and Wind
L3 Mountain Shooting Application
Our L1, L2, and L3 classes must be taken in sequential order and provide a comprehensive learning experience. We also offer “Clinics'' which are a deep dive into a specific topic or weapon system. There are no prerequisite classes to attend any of our Clinics.
Our Standalone Clinics
Shooting System Readiness
Long Range Muzzle loader
Our Hunting Experiences
The ultimate in training is live field application. For the next step in your journey to proficiency, we offer several different training / hunting experiences with Gunwerks vetted outfitters in different environments. From Barbary Sheep in the mountains of West Texas, to beginner friendly Antelope in New Mexico, to freezer filling Cow Elk in Oregon, all provide a fantastic experience and help you achieve the next level of capability in the field.
- Note - Check in mid to late afternoon the day before your event. Dinner will be served.
- Components of the Long Range Rifle System
- Bench shooting fundamentals, Shooter spotter communication, Holding for wind
- Building profile in the Revic Ballistic App
- Range - Zeroing and Bench shooting exercises
- Ballistic app truing exercise, and trajectory validation out to 1000 yards, wrap up approximately 5:00 PM
- Internal ballistics, bore cleaning and Cold bore shot theory
- External ballistics, Intro to BDC turrets, Wind Calculations and Prone shooting fundamentals
- Cold bore shot exercise, prone shooting exercises
- Wind Compensation and use of BDC turrets exercise
- Range - Practical shooting exercise, wrap up approximately 5:00 PM
- Terminal Ballistics
- Range - Long Range Cold bore shot exercise, Wind compensation exercise
- Laser rangefinder functions
- Range - Practical shooting exercise